- 900g filleted salmon (in two pieces – of equal size)
- 75g coarse sea salt
- 60g sugar
- 2 tablespoons crushed white peppercorns
- 1 large bunch dill
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 level tablespoon caster sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
Mix the mustard and sugar. Whisk in hot oil slowly. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Place piece of salmon on a dish skin side down.
Sprinkle sea salt, sugar and crushed white peppercorns onto salmon.
Cover with the dill.
Place other piece of salmon, skin side up, on top of first piece sandwiching the dill and salt mixture. Cover with cling film.
Place a heavy weight – such as a wooden board on top and leave in the fridge for 24-36 hours turning every 12 hours.
Scrape salt, dill etc. off salmon. Slice very thinly and serve with brown bread or small pancakes topped with mustard sauce. Alternatively it can be sliced thickly an served with hot boiled potatoes and salad.