- 4 skate wings
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 1/2 pint dry cider
- Juice and rind of 1 orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- Orange peel and lemon wedges to garnish
Place the skate wings in a large shallow pan. Add the onion, cider, orange juice and a piece of thinly pared rind, then a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bring slowly up to barely simmering, and poach for about 15 minutes.
Lift the skate wings out, and keep them on a warmed serving dish.
Turn up the heat, add the capers and boil the cooking liquid until it is reduced and thick, then check the seasoning.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice, remove from the heat and swirl in the cream or fromage blanc.
Pour the sauce over the skate wings and serve immediately, garnished with thinly pared ribbons of orange peel and wedges of lemon.