Squid is best cooked either very quickly or very slowly if it is to retain its unique texture and flavour: otherwise it turns rubbery and tasteless. This recipe perfectly captures its tender, sweet qualities, enhancing them with a sauce that is fruity and fresh, and combining it with pasta for a simple, yet exotic, dish.
- 450g-675g prepared squid
- 225g pasta of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 red pepper – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons parsley – chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander – chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice and zest
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper.
Heat oil, cook onion and garlic.
Add remainder of sauce ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile cook pasta, drain well and toss in a little olive oil.
Add squid to tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine.
Garnish with sprigs of coriander and lime wedges.
Serve with mixed salad leaves and garlic bread.